2008-10-19

Ecological Footprint

It is a very good idea to start from myself discussing one's ecological footprint. Everyone is always personally responsible for his or her impact on ecology. It does not matter who you are: an executive manager of a huge chemical company polluting the environment or just a little boy who is spitting out his chewing-gum on the grass in the park. Sure, the latter is much less dangerous for the nature but that manager was brought up from this little boy.

I am entirely persuaded that parents must work hard on a nature friendly way of thinking of their children, always showing them the tight link between the family's life-style and the ecological consequences. From the beginning it should fall into their habits: to consume less, not to pollute the environment, be responsible, to think about tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and so on.

But I believe that is not just a one's decision to be or not to be a real friend of the nature: bad habits die hard. Now, I am going to tell a little bit about my ecological footprint.

First of all, I do not always think about my every day life activities from ecological point of view – that is the question!

I always ask a bag at stores notwithstanding I could have taken my own bag before going shopping. I like reading in the bathroom listening the sounds of the shower-bath water. I used to forget the light on in my rooms when I left them. I am too lazy to separate my garbage into three categories to utilize it properly. I often throw rotten food to the kitchen waste because I bought more than I could eat. I use an old car with big engine that consumes more gas that smaller ones. So, you see, I have to admit that I am not a good candidate for a role model.

Frankly speaking I was very surprised when I recently read an article in 24 hours or in Métro that almost all of Canadian political leaders did not have personal cars. Before I have been sure that having a big car was a must in the North America. So, my bad habits do not die but they can be changed at least. I will be eating less and working more so that I can afford to buy a new lean-burn car in the future. I hope I am changing in the right direction. Am I not?

1 comment:

wojzeh said...

the following was originally commented in montreal.livejournal.com community and then deleted as irrelevant.

i would like to keep that interesting discussion here. thanks to all bloggers.

Blue (blueheron):
===================================

You don't have to eat less, just smarter. Eat low down on the food chain
(ie: more plants, less animal and animal products), eat seasonal and
local food.

Doing so can actually make more of an impact than switching your car and
it is cheaper and tastier as well since local in season foods taste way
better than food that has had to travel thoudands of kms.

Good luck!
=========================

me:
=========================
> please, show me a local fruit that could be cheaper (and tastier) than
> from Chili or from the U.S. and coffee at once.

> i am not sure that local producers are more ecologically responsible than
> their overseas counterparts.

> you are talking about fair trade but not about ecology. i do not
> believe in fair trade; it is only a marketing hype.

> from my point of view, there are a lot of companies which established
> electronic ways of communications such an internet banking or something
> like this but always sending me pile-ups of paper: my transactions,
> bills, different marketing stuff and so on, and so on. just imagine how
> much natural resources in the world should be spent on that feckless
> trash! and nobody asks them to stop doing it.

> and by the way, i do not eat animals.
=============================

mlle b (mlleb)
=============================
I just wanted to add or expand on part of what blueheron wrote. Ignoring
completely the idea of fair trade or marketing, incorporating locally
grown food does leave less of an ecological footprint. Consider that food
grown overseas, etc, travels thousands of km's to get here. While that
food is travelling, be it by truck, plane, ship, etc, more natural
resources are being consumed (as fuel) and more pollution is produced
just to get the food here.

There are a lot of other things to consider, and the food may not be less
expensive nor taste better to you, but what blueheron wrote does have
some merit.
==============================

me:
==============================
> Sure, it does. But it sounds like a suggestion for people to rest at the
> place where they live and neither to travel anywhere nor to go to their
> workplaces because it causes much more pollutions than stay at home. No?

> One airplane to Mexico is equal to one airplane from Mexico, isn't it?
> Does it matter what is on board - tourists or oranges? Maybe, we are just
> victims of the well lobbied local producers hype?
===================================

Blue (blueheron):
===================================
Except that one less airplane from Mexico (say for bell peppers,
a common import here, but one that can easily be grown here) is one less
airplane if people opt to buy it locally instead of imported.

I am not talking about fair trade -- if I was, I would have said as much.

I am talking about two things:

1) eating less animal products, because animal agriculture uses a
rediculous amount of water, crops, land and oil in production,

2) eating food that hasn't had to travel thousands of kms to get here. My
biggest example of local food that tastes better are strawberries --
Quebec strawberries taste like heaven. California strawberries and
Chillean strawberries hardly taste like anything. Unfortunatly, you will
have to wait until next year to test the taste, since the season is long
over.

Howver, none of these suggestions have to absolute. Just like you don't
have stop driving your car, just maybe examine how and where you
drive it. I only use my car for three things: to take my baby to see his
grandparents, to shop for large amounts of foods, and to my farm (where I
grow most of my food during the summer).

It isn't all or nothing. Every bit counts.
===================================