2010-06-17

Violence On the Road

Having read this interview (“Road warriors”) with a woman who learnt the hard way the politeness rules on the road, I remembered all such cases that have happened to me in my country.

So, I believe it is something intercultural, I would say, common to human nature because humans are animals in fact. Yes, they are social, if you want, socialized, but still animals with all these characteristics related to aggressive behavior, violence and so on. No doubt, this way is much easier to prove to yourself that you are real, you can do something or whatever, I mean, to bolster one’s self-esteem by bullying or pressing offensively someone else.

Behind the wheel a man (or even a woman!) starts feeling powerful, mighty, and it might have an unpredictable impact on some sort of people who become more aggressive on the road. By the way, in fact, as we can see from the statistics, the repercussions of it are horrible: two-thirds of fatal collisions were caused by road rage.

Needless to say that this woman provoked this guy by her mouthing off and that unequivocal, obnoxious gesture – all these put him over the edge, even though he was obviously responsible for this dangerous situation.

I am sure it would have been much better if they had just called 911 to report about this road rage in order to secure themselves and other drivers. But what have me come to teach them if I am like others, too?





No comments: