2009-02-13

What really leads to success

Every lesson at the university of McGill our prof of English, Rick W. Juskow gives us something interesting. Last time, it was a short video with Richard St. John, the author of 'Stupid, Ugly, Unlucky and Rich' book.



Maybe, he just reiterates the golden rules well-known from the fairy-tales about Cinderellas but he does it very effectively.

By and large, I tend to agree with him about the dominant factors that leads to success. Also, I rather support his antithesis against the myths about success: smarts-looks-luck.

I would shorten the magic 8 to the following three:
  • love what you do
  • be persistent
  • be smart

As you see, the latter contradict a little bit with what he supposed but I think it is just because of my slight English misunderstanding .

I know some people who have none of these qualities above but they are rich.

In Russian, we have a funny saying: if you are so smart why not rich?


Having seen this very impressing presentation, I thought about a definition of success for myself. What is it? To become rich? Or die trying? I am not sure...

The only thing I am absolutely sure about is that to write a book is a good way to become rich.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexey

Trust me, the way NOT become rich is to write a book. Even million-selling authors don't make much money from their books. There are few exceptions, like J.K. Rowling or Stephen King. Even he says, "Yes, I’ve made a great deal of dough from my fiction, but I never set a single word down on paper with the thought of being paid for it.... I did it for the buzz. I did it for the pure joy of the thing." So, if you want to write a book, do it because you love it, not because you'll get rich.

Best
Richard St. John

wojzeh said...

Thank you for reply, Richard. I trust you.

My father-in-law, balneologist, wrote a book on the therapy but it is very hard to sell it despite the fact that only a few books have been published on this theme (in Russian).

From the other hand, when I was reading Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance written by two bald (and bold!) Swedish guys I posed questions: what new have I learned from the book? - nothing; does it help me to be more proactive, successful? - nope; have I fun reading it? - yes! that's why I spent so much money (relatively, sure) for it!

just from my curiosity, how have you learned about this posting in my blog?