2009-01-07

English course started

It started and it seemed started well. I like the group, I like the ambiance, I like the prof and I like the course.


Functions


Core Activities


Grammar and/or Elements of Language



Themes

  • Describe in detail the background of a complex professional situation



  • Summarize a conference call, meeting, get-together, etc.

  • Present and explain company operations, a product or service to an unprepared audience

  • Negotiate and set conditions

  • Express reservations about a product, service or project


  • Persuade in order to market or sell a product

  • Present a product or service to an audience or group

  • Propose and defend a project or idea to a demanding audience

  • Case Studies and Analyses




  • Simulations of All Types of Meetings





  • The Pitch





  • Euphemisms

  • Connotations

  • Rhetorical devices in speech

  • Collocations

  • Correct application in discourse of all verb tenses, modals, conditionals, passives, gerunds & infinitives, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, etc.








  • Formal and informal meetings

  • The business trip

  • Telemarketing and sales

  • Outsourcing

  • Output, evaluation, performance and productivity













Looks well, doesn't it?

Honestly speaking it is exactly what I looked for when I was searching for a program to improve my linguistic competence. Sad to say but there is a difference between the French and English programs. The latter is more concentrated on real things, I would say it is cut out for my plans. (I may compare them because I have been taking both since the previous year.)

Ok, we'll see. As my new teacher said "this is a student driven course". I rather agree with that because I am sure that any education consists of 90% of self-education.

I'd like to notice the prof's pure linguistic attitude, he writes
Please keep in mind that I am not interested in your personal opinions. The fact that Hitler may be your idol or you really really believe George Bush is an honest God fearing man is not my business! I am interested in your ability to express yourself and produce the appropriate vocabulary to do so.
Ha-ha! Not bad? Indeed, he has a good sense of humor. So, let's go and do it together with Mr. Rick Juskow.

No comments: